Welcome to the Brabazon Blog! We are trying to get a forum going that would be more instantaneous and universal than either the family website (brabazonarchive.com) or separate emailing. We have commenced with a handful of topics - taken from the website - to kick-start conversations. Your suggestions for additional areas of interest and emails of a personal nature can be sent to Michael Brabazon at mbbrabazon@yahoo.co.uk

As we are probably all now aware, the Brabazon Clan is not homogenous but rather a mosaic of smaller genetic groupings, sometimes explicable by descent via a Brabazon female line, sometimes due to the adoption of the Brabazon name for various known or unknown reasons. By casting the discussion network as wide as possible perhaps we can begin to shed more light on each of the sub-lineages of the Clan - worldwide brainstorming, so to speak!

The Earl and Countess of Meath remain the standard bearers of the Brabazon name, and I think we would all agree that we have an excellent family at the very heart of the Brabazon Clan. Across the spectrum of our Family we are a good microcosm of Irishness in all its cultural forms and our cohesiveness in diversity is perhaps the best testimony to the greatness of our ancestors. So start blogging and let's see where it goes!

Saturday, March 15, 2014

EARLY BRABAZONS IN ENGLAND & NORMANDY, by Jan Barnes

James (Jacques) le Brabanzon, an illustration of a statue at Stapleford Hall, Leicestershire made cir 1633, from John Nichols, A History of Leicestershire, Vol 2 Part 1 (1795) p.337. The statue is still on the outside of the house, which is now part of a luxury hotel named Stapleford Park.


According to tradition Jacques le Brabancon came to England from Normandy with William the Conqueror in 1066 and fought at the Battle of Hastings, possibly as the leader of a troop of mercenaries, and for this was rewarded with large tracts of land. However, although the Brabancon name appears in the Battle Abbey Roll there is no record of any Brabazon land-holding in England in the Domesday Book, 1086.  So far the earliest record of the name found otherwise in England is Thomas le Brabazun who witnessed a document sometime between 1175 and 1188, in York.

Perhaps Jacques was given land in Normandy rather than England. Two Brabancons are recorded there in the Exchequer Rolls of 1198, paying money into the Treasury. Thomas Brabencon was in Falaise and Roger de Brabancon was in the Forest of Roumare, near Rouen in Caux (1). Thomas of Falaise could be the Thomas who witnessed a document in York between 1175 and 1188, and also a charter in Lincolnshire cir 1200.

In 1199 John succeeded Richard as King of England and Duke of Normandy. By 1204 he had lost Normandy to Philip of France. The nobles of Normandy had to submit to Phillip or go elsewhere. It could be at this stage that a Brabazon moved to England and settled there.

The earliest record of a Brabazon landholder found in England was John Brabesun who held sixteen acres in Norfolk in 1206, but he may well have had more. Perhaps it was his son Adam who had land in East Betchworth in Surrey. Traditionally Adam son of John le Brabazun follows Jacques in the lineages, but he is unlikely to have had any descendants. If a tenant died without heirs his land returned to his lord, in this case the Earl of Surrey, who sold Adam’s land.

About this time, the name in its various forms appeared in several English counties, perhaps indicating more than one original ancestor. Of those found, some witnessed documents where land was given to the church. Some were landowners and others were money lenders. One seems to have been murdered.

The following is a list of those found so far, up to 1268, the date when Roger le Brabazon was first recorded in Mowsley, Leicestershire. From that time on the Leicestershire families have been reasonably well recorded.



1175-1188. Thoma (Thomas) le Brabazun was a witness to the confirmation of a gift to the Hospital of St Peter York. Thomas Hay confirmed the gift of a mill in North Cave which had been given to the hospital by his father Roger Hay, also the profits from four carucates of land that he held ‘which owe suit and ought to grind at that mill and give multure’ (2). A carucate was the amount of land that could be ploughed by a team of eight oxen in a season, approximately 120 fiscal acres. Traditionally twenty sheaves of corn from every plough in the diocese of York were given to the hospital, which was built to house the poor folk of St Peter’s York (3).

cir 1200. Thoma le Brabacum witnessed a charter where Robert son of William son of Gerard of Spaldington confirmed a gift to Ormsby Priory, of several lands and waterways, in and around Spaldington, Lincolnshire (4).

1206. John Brabesun was a sub-tenant holding sixteen acres of land in Stanford Norfolk by homage and services, from William son of Peter (who was a tenant of Lord Richard). The services were sixteen pence and two plough-services when summoned and one man for three days in autumn for food for William, and two hens and half a carcase of mutton and a half-penny at Christmas (5). This seems to be just land that John cultivated. There’s no mention of a house, so he could have lived nearby.

1206. Walter Brabezun was in court in Hertfordshire. He seemed to be representing a client (6).

1207. Hugo Br͂tbacon (Bratbacon) paid half a mark fine in Southampton (7).

1215-1220, Kent. William Brabacum, Brabacun Brabazun or brabazin and his brother Radulfo (Ralph) witnessed documents in Canterbury, relating to the Priory of St Gregory and the Convent of Canterbury Cathedral Priory (8).

1216-1272. John le Brabancon held lands in Nottingham under Henry III (9).

1219-22. Reginald Brabacun owed money to Robert of Castle Carrock, Northumberland (10).

1219-25. William de Warrene, Earl of Surrey, granted a virgate of land (about 30 acres) in East Betchworth Surrey to Thomas son of Ralph Niger, by charter. The land was previously held by Adam son of John le Brabazun (11). William de Warenne was also overlord to many lands in Norfolk, including part of Stanford, Wimbotsham, Methwold and Aylmerton, below.

1225-6. Robertus Le Brabicun was one of the people named in a claim of a property at Wimbotsham, Norfolk (12). He could be the son of John Brabesun of Stanford..

1230, 9 May. Simon Brabacun, a bailiff or faithful citizen associated with Portsmouth (13).

1232. Matilda daughter of Reginald attorned Roberto Brabacun, regarding twenty acres of land and half a messuage in Melewud (Methwold) Norfolk (14). This seems to be the same Robert as above because others are named in both documents. Attorn means to agree to be tenant to a new owner or landlord. A messuage was a house, gardens, orchard etc and the land on which they were situated.

Date unknown but probably early to mid 13th century. Suffolk, Grant by Richard le Brab . . . . of . . . . ., to John son of Richard de Suber [i], of land in . . . . . . ., in the field called 'Cleylond.' Witnesses:—Warin the clerk of Suberi, and others (15). (The document is damaged). This could possibly be another of the Norfolk Brabazon family. A field called Cleylond was near Attleborough in Norfolk. Warin the clerk and Richard of Sudbury were associated with St Bartholemew's Priory, Sudbury, in the early part of the 13th century so this could be a gift of land to the priory.

1241. John Brebanzon or Brabecun and his wife Cecilia had a free-holding in Barton Oxfordshire. They accused others in court of causing them a nuisance by knocking down a fence and destroying a dike (16). Between 1247 and 1261 they were back in court several times (17). In 1278 Walter Brabesun, who was probably their son and heir, was a free tenant with a virgate of land in Little Barton (18).

1246, 22 January at Westminster. Brabacun Bonecuntre, citizen and merchant of Siena was given the ‘power to stay in the realm and carry on his merchandise as he did in times past’, ‘notwithstanding the king’s former mandate that transalpine merchants should leave the realm of England’. He and his associates lent 1,000l. to the king (19). Many later records mention James Brabazon and others, money lenders, described as merchants of the society of the sons of Bonsygnor of Siena, or similar.

1249-50. William Brabazun living in Aylmerton, Kent, was fined half a mark for not attending an inquest on the death by drowning, of a neighbour’s child. Neither the boy’s mother nor her neighbours came to the inquest. Aylmerton and other villages were fined for burying the boy without reporting his death to the coroner (20).

Mid 13th Century, Kent. Richard brabezun, brabacun, de brabansun etc. witnessed charters between landholders in Mongeham and the prior and convent of Canterbury Cathedral Priory (21).

1265, 14 November at Westminster. Richard Chase of Little Budun was pardoned for the death of Thomas Brabecun (22).  This is probably Little Bowden, now in Leicestershire, but then in Northamptonshire.

1265, 22 November at Westminster. Richard Chace was pardoned for the death of Gilbert Mayn and of any consequent outlawry. ‘The like to Thomas Brabacun for the same death’ (23).  Did Richard kill Thomas after he and Thomas had killed Gilbert?  A Thomas Brabazon, who is said to have married an heiress of Mowsley, follows Adam in the traditional lineages. Could this be the same Thomas, or his son ?

1268, 21 November. An inquisition found that Roger Brabazon was holding a carucate of land in Mowsley, Leicestershire from Hugh Gobion by knight’s service  - the service of one knight to the chief lord in time of war at his own expense for forty days (24). The inquisition was held to find out what properties were owned by Hugh Gobion. Roger could have held his land before this date. He could have held other lands in Mowsley belonging to other lords. He was the son of William and Amice Brabazon and later became Chief Justice of England.


Many thanks to John Lacey who discovered and passed on records.

For more information, see here

References:-
1.  Stapleton, Thomas, Magni Rotuli Scaccarii Normanniae sub Regibus Angliae, Vol 2, p.406 & p. 445.
2.  Farrar, William, Early Yorkshire Charters, Vol 2, p.419, Chartulary of St Leonard’s York, Rawl Ms B 455, f.213.
3. British History Online.
4.  Stenton F M (ed) Transcripts of Charters Relating to the Gilbertine Houses of Sixle, Ormsby Catley, Bullington, and Alvingham by Sixles, Linc. Rec. Soc. Vol 18, 1922, p.64.
5.  Pipe Roll Society Vol LXX, New Series Vol 1 XXXII, 1954, Feet of Fines, Case 154, file 25 No 322.
6.  Curia Regis Roll 42, membrane 19.
7. Hardy, Sir Thomas Duffus, Rotuli de oblatis et finibus in Turri Londinensi asservati, tempore regis Johannes, p. 451, Pledges to Roger son of Adam, sheriff of Southampton.
8. Woodcock, Audrey M, Cartulary of the Priory of St Gregory,Canterbury; Canterbury Cathedral Archives, Grants, in pure and perpetual alms  CCA-DCc-ChAnt/I/84 and CCA-DCc-ChAnt/L/357.
9. Brown, Cornelius, History of Newark-on-Trent; being the life story of an ancient town, p.180.
10. Fine Roll 3 Hen III and Fine Roll, 6 Hen III.
11. British History Online; Manning and Bray, History of Surrey, Vol 2, p.209, quoting from a deed in private hands.
12. Curia Regis Rolls Hen III, Vol 12, p. 137, No 680, Trinity term 9 Hen III..
13. Calendar of Patent Rolls, Hen III, Vol 2, p.370.
14. Calendar of Close Rolls, Hen III, 1231-1234, p.149.
15. A Descriptive Catalogue of Ancient Deeds, Vol 4, p.21, A.6295.
16. Fine Roll C 60/45, membrane 14, 32 Hen III.
17. Jobson, Adrian. The Oxfordshire Eyre Roll of 1261, PHD Thesis, Kings College London, 2005, E372/105 r.12d m.1r.11 m.2.
18. Rotuli Hundredorum, 7 Ed I, Vol 2, Com' Oxon' Hund' de Wooton' Parva Bartona, p.853.
19. Calendar of Patent Rolls, Hen III, Vol 3, p.470-1.
20. Rye, Walter, The Norfolk Antiquity Miscellany, Crown Plea Roll Norfolk, 34 Hen III, Mem.16 d,  North Erpingham Hundred, PRO Mem 41/1.
21. Canterbury Cathedral Archives, Grants CCA-DCc-ChAnt/M/48,49,51,52,53,54,55,56,57,59, 60,62,63,64,66,67,68,69,70,72,
22. Calendar of Patent Rolls, Hen III, Vol 5, p.505. C66/84 membrane 44.
23. Calendar of Patent Rolls, Hen III, Vol 5, p.509. C66/84 membrane 42.
24. Calendar of Inquisitions Miscellaneous, Vol 1, p.122.

Monument to Sir William Brabazon - Lord Justice of Ireland

Monument to Sir William Brabazon - Lord Justice of Ireland
in the reign of Henry VIII - Erected in St. Catherine's Church Dublin

Lord Justice of Ireland in 1543, 1546 and 1550. Appointed Vice Treasurer and General Receiver of Ireland in 1534, which office he retained until his death.  See more at: http://www.brabazonarchive.com/Pages/Sir%20William%20History.htm


Sub hoe Tumulo in Christo
ob dormit GULIELMUS.
Brabazon, Eques Auratus,
qui bringinta annos belli
Thesaurarius & obiit Knochfergus
Anno Salutis 1548

And on the Graves-stone, under the Monument, is this inscription:
Here Lieth the Body of Sir William Brabazon, Knt. 
Who continued Treasurer in this Kingdom XXXII 
Years, in which Time he was Lord Justice v several 
Times; he was the first Englishman that planted in 
Connaught, and wan the Castle of Athlone. He served 
In the Reigne of King Henry the VIII, and King Edward 
The VI. His Son, Sir Edward Brabazon, Knt. Lord Baron of 
Ardee, purposeth to be entomed by his Father and Mother

Brabazon Statues and Memorials

Brabazon Statues and Memorials


[from http://www.secret-london.co.uk/Empire.html]

This memorial to Reginald Brabazon, 12th Earl of Meath (1841-1929) situated in Lancaster Gate, London W2 commemorates his philanthropic work. He is responsible for many of London’s public parks and the Green Belt around London. He was also the man behind the creation of Empire Day, believing fervently in the benefits of imperialism.




Brabazon Family Vault, Kilconduff, Swinford.
The memorial plaque is to Sir William Brabazon Bart.:
“Sacred to the memory of Sir William John Brabazon Bart. M.P. of Brabazon Park who died the 24th October 1840 aged 64 years having twice represented in Parliament the County of Mayo.  He was a true patriot ardently attached to the interests of this County and of Ireland.  Beloved by all and deeply lamented by his attached friends and countrymen.”




The Brabazon Enclosure, Termonfeckin graveyard' (left) and 'The Jenney Gable (right), Termonfeckin graveyard' courtesy of the Termonfeckin Historical Society (THS).
[From: http://www.brabazonarchive.com/Pages/Termonfeckin.htm]
This monument in Termonfeckin graveyard Co Louth was erected by Mrs Elizabeth Jenney, daughter of William and Elizabeth Brabazon of Rath House, in memory of her husband Christophilus Jenney who died October 1741 in his 48th year and one of her daughters: also Henry Jenney Brabazon, grandson of Christophilus Jenney who died 8 January 1824 in his 57th year.




Roger Brabazon of Odeby, a doctor of Canon law who became a residentiary of St Paul's Cathedral, London. He died 3 August 1498 and was buried at St Pauls. This brass over his tomb was situated in the South Isle. At the foot was the scroll, Nunc Christe,te petimus, miserere quaesumus: Qui venisti redimere perditos, nolidamnare redemptos. Now Christ, we ask you, have mercy, we pray Thee, Thou who came to redeem the lost, do not condemn the redeemed.

From: The History of St Paul’s Cathedral in London by William Dugdale,1658, p.76 & 77 and The Genealogical History of the family of Brabazon by H Sharpe,1825. Latin translation by Google.








The monument to Lady Mary Brabazon in St Mary’s, Nottingham, eldest daughter of Chambre 5th of Earl Meath who died at her lodgings in Nottingham on 2 January 1738 (new dating). She never married.











Captain Ernest Brabazon - Christ Church in Bray, Co. Wicklow
TO THE GLORY OF GOD: AND IN MEMORY OF
CAPTAIN THE HONBLE ERNEST BRABAZON, D.S.O.,
COLDSTREAM GUARDS.
STAFF CAPTAIN TO THE 4TH (GUARDS) BRIGADE.
MENTIONED IN DESPATCHES.
KILLED JUNE 17TH 1915, AGED 31.
BURIED IN CAMBRIN CHURCHYARD, FRANCE.
YOUNGEST SON OF REGINALD, 12TH EARL OF MEATH.
MARRIED DOROTHYMARY RICARDO: OCTR 29TH 1912.
FOR ALL THE SAINTS WE RENDER THANKS AND PRAISE
TO GOD ABOVE.
THE HEARTS SO TENDER IN THE BY-GONE DAYS
STILL LIVE – STILL LOVE.
ONLY WITHDRAWN FROM US A LITTLE SPACE,
GONE HOME BEFORE.
LEARNING IN PARADISE, GOD’S RESTING PLACE,
TO LOVE HIM MORE;
NOT SAD, BUT BEAUTIFUL THEIR MEMORY
SO CALM, SO BRIGHT.
TWILL LEAD US THROUGH EARTH’S DARKNESS TENDERLY
INTO GOD’S



John Brabazon Ellis (Photo courtesy of FLICKR user - GavG)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bugnerd2/8659616273/
On enlistment, 18th January 1915 he was 22 and 5 foot 3 inches. Grey eyes, brown hair and fair complexion. Weighed 120 pounds, or 54.43kg. He was an Iron worker in civil life and Church of England. His service number makes you look twice if you note death & have a military bent.

Wounded or sick in Gallipoli 11/8/15, 6 days after he arrived. Reported as both?

Wounded in action at least 2 more times, army record is all over the place where nothing less than understanding a doctors writing skills and several calendars would help. Gunshot wounds to head arms, femur and buttocks over this time.

Died in hospital at Enoggera, Brisbane 05/01/20 of Pernicicus Anaemia and Asthena

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

BRABAZON HOUSE, SWINFORD, Co MAYO

BRABAZON HOUSE,  SWINFORD, Co MAYO – ANCESTRAL HOME OF THE BRABAZONS OF BRABAZON PARK
Built by George Brabazon in the 1770s, this picture shows his son Sir Anthony with some members of the family.  The house was vacated by Gen John Brabazon in the late 1800s and later used as an agricultural college for young ladies.  It was demolished in the 1980s.


View of the House from Brabazon Park.


The vacant House in 1978.

TARA HALL, Co MEATH – ANCESTRAL HOME OF THE MOORE-BRABAZONS, LATER THE BARONS BRABAZON OF TARA

1st Baron Brabazon of Tara (see www.brabazonarchive.com for more information)

Tara Hall came into the family through a granddaughter of the Seventh Earl of Meath, one Barbara, who married a Moore. The 1st Baron Brabazon let the Hall on one of those curious Irish leases in which no term of years was named but the lives of two people were mentioned, and as long as they lived the lease ran on. He was unable to trace whether these two people were alive or dead, so he practically had to buy the place back. However, the house was later pulled down.

Kilruddery Hall, Then and Now

KILLRUDDERY, BRAY, Co WICKLOW - THE ANCESTRAL HOME OF THE EARLS OF MEATH – THEN & NOW
Hunting scene showing Killruddery House





The Orangery
The Orangery dates from 1852. It was built by William Burn for the 11th Earl of Meath and his wife Harriot, after the Crystal Place Exhibition in London, when conservatories became very fashionable. The dowager duchess Melosina sold her diamond tiara to pay for the build. The pattern of the brickwork is said to be based on the design of the tiara. The original glass roof, the work of Richard Turner, has since been replaced. Inside is a  collection of marble statues from Italy collected 1830–1850.